vgm kega ym2612

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
Avanze

vgm kega ym2612

Post by Avanze »

Is there anyway to get the source code of Kega's YM612 into the vgm plugin? I don't think Gens is 100% accurate, it certainly has problems with Ghostbusters.
neologix

Post by neologix »

i can't even count how many times this question has been asked. i can't even count how many times i've asked steve snake myself for this particular request.

in short, the answer is "no, we cannot get kega source code of any kind."
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

Thanks for the response, neologix. Do you know what is causing the problem with Ghostbusters? Track number 10, neither Gens nor the MAME core can play it correctly. What is the accuracy of these cores?
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

This is a question from inexperience, but is decompiling the program a possibility (even though it might be difficult?)
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

No idea, but there is one instrument that's exclusive to the GEMS driver that causes problems on anything that isn't KEGA Fusion, or an actual Genesis. It can be heard in Spiderman: The Animated Series, Comix Zone, Flashback, and some other games. Here's how it should sound on an actual Genesis.

http://www.mediafire.com/?24gnmtobitc

(Can someone please put that up somewhere permanent? Particularly on some Wiki or something?)

TmEE recorded this. It's track 03 from the Sound Test of Flashback. Notice the difference between it, Kega, and Gens. It doesn't sound too bad on Kega, but that guy won't say anything on how to fix it. Gotta love that guy. :roll:
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

Apparently it's some secret 2operator mode YM2612 has.
I'm not sure, but maybe the new Genesis emulator Regen does support that? It's open source, so finding what makes the stuff tick should be no problem with it.
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

I just checked Regen and track number 10 from the sound test of Ghostbusters is wrong. The only emulator, it seems, that can play this track correctly is Kega.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I love Kega. :kiss:

(I guess my question above is too stupid to be answered... :cry: )
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

SmartOne wrote:I love Kega.

I do too, but I think I was taking it for granted as I recorded all my mp3 using the Gens core and frankly it just does not compare to the accuracy of Kega. I believe it is worth the time and effort to record directly from Kega, although this means finding the occasional elusive sound test.
neologix

Post by neologix »

Richter X wrote:No idea, but there is one instrument that's exclusive to the GEMS driver that causes problems on anything that isn't KEGA Fusion, or an actual Genesis. It can be heard in Spiderman: The Animated Series, Comix Zone, Flashback, and some other games. Here's how it should sound on an actual Genesis.

http://www.mediafire.com/?24gnmtobitc

(Can someone please put that up somewhere permanent? Particularly on some Wiki or something?)

TmEE recorded this. It's track 03 from the Sound Test of Flashback. Notice the difference between it, Kega, and Gens. It doesn't sound too bad on Kega, but that guy won't say anything on how to fix it. Gotta love that guy. :roll:

which track in the vgm set is it? i can decompose the vgm to see what "special" ym2612 commands are being used. i have a feeling it's more likely related to timers than the "secret" THREE (not two) op mode channel 3 has.