vgm kega ym2612

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

If there is a simple winamp or foobar VGM player plugin already available that requires minimal changes, I can try put my core in there. in_vgm currently seems to complex and too gens specific. Is there any other VGM player plugin which a bit simple?

stay safe,

AamirM
neologix

Post by neologix »

it seems that, when vgm was expanded to include ym2612, development of any and all other winamp vgm plugins stopped in deference to in_vgm. i've studied the source myself and, while it's fairly complex due to the inclusion of both gens and mame cores, if you ask nicely enough he may fork it to a stripped version you can use to include your core. the key is the function called by DecodeThread.
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

Kode54 might try out your new core in foo_gep. But he needs the source code for it so he can do that. Drop him a line at mailto:?subject=&body= and see what you two can do.
Yawackhary

Post by Yawackhary »

I don't really know where to put this but it is sort of related. Nemesis (former hacker of the Sonic community) has been working on research of the YM2612 and is writing a sound core to use.

This is the thread: http://spritesmind.net/_GenDev/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386&start=120

I wonder if Maxim is interested.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

I think AamirM is already aware of it since quite some time now. Stef was also interested in implementing it in Gens.

Btw, the new YM2612 core is implemented in Mame, M1, Audio Overload and possibly the next version of Hoot. You can already forget about Kega.
neologix

Post by neologix »

if this turns out as good as i think it's gonna be, this'll be the ym2612 core used for the preset preview i want to add to vgmtool (if i don't do it i'll ask maxim to do it).
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Mudlord was very kind to send me his sources of his great in_gme plugin. I've been working for the past four hours or so trying to rip out my core and put it in that plugin since many people have asked for my core to be used in a VGM player. So here is the resulting plugin. This new YM2612 core is unreleased yet in my emulator and contains all my latest changes to it. In other words, its bleeding edge :) . Its been observed to be more accurate than Kega in some cases (and not in some others :) ).

One thing though, it will play any VGM/VGZ file except the ones created with the old Gens/VGM emulator by Maxim. I've not looked at why is this the case.

Secondly, I don't use my own resampler in this since there is blargg's own high quality polyphase FIR resampler in it. So sound may differ in quality.

Hopefully everybody is happy with it :) . I will work some more on it later if I find time.

Finally all credits and thanks should go to mudlord and blargg for this.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

stay safe,

AamirM
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

What?? Somebody deleted stalepie's post or something??

Anyways, for those who like a little lighter/crisp sound with less bass can use this version. Even if this doesn't work the try soundcard/speaker settings :P .

I'll probably release Regen with updated sound tommorrow so you can compare the sound with that.

stay safe,

AamirM
JFD62780
New Around Here

Post by JFD62780 »

Tried both new plugins, both were tha bomb. But my only complaint is no configuration window, so no way for me to let the things loop, like in_vgm. They deserve to be looped here!

Maxim, if you're reading this, please replace the Gens YM2612 core with the Regen 9.3! The plugin will be perfect then! :D

EDIT: Also, the tunes with a definite end cut out too early to be listened comfortably... That problem I consider worse than the no-looping bit. Sorry. :/
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

Yeah, I don't know what got into me, but I kept deleting my post earlier today. Anyway what I was saying was that I don't like it as much as in_vgm, although it's interesting. I DID like the extra bass, which sounds more like the Genesis, and tne noticeable rumble of the percussion in some tracks (like Gauntlet IV's Adventures of Iron). But overall it sounded muffled and distant, somehow not as vibrant and beautiful as in_vgm. Also I needed to install msvcr71.dll into C:\WINDOWS\System in order to use it .You can get it hereif you have the same problem.