vgm kega ym2612

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Some points still need to be tweaked (the white noise in SOR Super Mix is sounding strange), but overall, I find it a definitive improvement over in_vgm.

@JFD62780

in_gme still reads the preferences from Mudlord's in_mgme plugin (the config file is in_mgme.ini). You probably want to use the options ignoresilence=0 and neverend=1.
JFD62780
New Around Here

Post by JFD62780 »

Kaminari wrote:Some points still need to be tweaked (the white noise in SOR Super Mix is sounding strange), but overall, I find it a definitive improvement over in_vgm.

Do you mean the variable-length techno hi-hats? I've listened to that exact track right after installing Aamir's version of the plugin, and I've found that on the contrary, that instrument was perfect, compared to in_vgm; and it was the first thing I listened for!

'neverend=1' works fine on the looping problem, but the other option did not cure the song-cutting-off-too-early problem. x.x

Edit: Cute icon. Is that you trying to break the world for the hundred-meter-dash playing Track and Field on MAME? :lol:
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

As I said before, I'll work a bit more on this later. Its not very great right now. The priority for me right now is Regen then Turbo Engine (my PC Engine emu). I've released this for testing mainly. Its a nice side effect if it works great for you. I hope you people will understand. And feel free to tell me anything which sounds wrong. As for the SOR2 problem, it sounds correct to me.

stay safe,

AamirM
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

I've released a beta (read: WIP) of Regen 0.93 which includes the same core used in the plugin (but it has my own PSG). Firstly, since I don't apply any filtering like the plugin does so it will sound different (and better). Secondly, there is now cycle accurate sample support in this Regen beta which is not possible with VGM so again it will sound more accurate.

Since most of you here are more good listeners than me so I recommed that you download and try this beta so that any bugs can be eliminated.

Download from here. Includes all the minimal things needed to run it. Since speed of the emulator has been greatly increased so it will work fullspeed on lower end PCs as well.

stay safe,

AamirM
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

Definitely like the unfiltered version. The drums in first stage of Contra Hard Corps sound amazingly good.

Think I may have noticed a couple of bugs -- in Regen. You probably know of them: no way to exit full screen (?) and turning on (and off) Super HQ sound option sometimes turns off sound entirely, requiring restart.

Text in Regen looks blurry, even in 320x240. My monitor? Also game (as a whole) looks blurry at medium resolution. I think "stretch" should be set as default because these games were made for 4:3 TV resolution regardless of their internal reality. "Brighten" looks bad. Don't like that feature. Think "File history" option should be right under "Load ROM" instead of at bottom of list.

As for sound, I'm liking it more the more I listen. I have a question though, if you don't mind. Sorry about all the criticism ,but do you listen to a Genesis 1 with headphones to compare? I think the ideal thing to do is to record a selection of songs from Genesis 1's headphone jack, from a lot of different games, and then listen to them on the same computer you write Regen/in_gme in, so that you use the same speakers and soundcard. If that's not what everyone already does anyway when writing an emulator, I mean.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Think I may have noticed a couple of bugs -- in Regen. You probably know of them: no way to exit full screen (?) and turning on (and off) Super HQ sound option sometimes turns off sound entirely, requiring restart.

Press escape to exit fullscreen. The second problem is true and its due to some limitations. But I think it works around 90% of the time.

Text in Regen looks blurry, even in 320x240. My monitor? Also game (as a whole) looks blurry at medium resolution. I think "stretch" should be set as default because these games were made for 4:3 TV resolution regardless of their internal reality. "Brighten" looks bad. Don't like that feature. Think "File history" option should be right under "Load ROM" instead of at bottom of list.

Hey, hey now don't make this a Regen feature request thread :P :D . Go to ZSNES boards for that.

As for sound, I'm liking it more the more I listen. I have a question though, if you don't mind. Sorry about all the criticism ,but do you listen to a Genesis 1 with headphones to compare? I think the ideal thing to do is to record a selection of songs from Genesis 1's headphone jack, from a lot of different games, and then listen to them on the same computer you write Regen/in_gme in, so that you use the same speakers and soundcard. If that's not what everyone already does anyway when writing an emulator, I mean.

I did the same when I didn't had my MD dead. But since now I don't have a working MD anymore all I have are some recordings to compare and fix by remembering. I can buy a clone MD but it doesn't have the same sound and timings.

stay safe,

AamirM
JFD62780
New Around Here

Post by JFD62780 »

Aamir, just wondering: Do they have flea markets where you live? I'm sure they might sell videogames in one of them things; you could get a model 1 or 2 MD there!

BTW, for the folks still wanting to talk about the emulator, rather than the sound engine, go here; you can't miss it! :p
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Aamir, just wondering: Do they have flea markets where you live? I'm sure they might sell videogames in one of them things; you could get a model 1 or 2 MD there!

Unfotunately no :( . I don't think there are that serious problems with sound in Regen right now so that I need to do testing on real thing. If anybody thinks there is, by all means tell me. And please, compare with real thing and not with Kega/Gens. Those are not correct at some places.

stay safe,

AamirM
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

AamirM wrote:

Press escape to exit fullscreen. The second problem is true and its due to some limitations. But I think it works around 90% of the time.

Oh I see the problem. When you press Alt+Enter again to try to exit full screen it messes up, then when you try to press escape it keeps you from returning to a small window and you get stuck.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Wow, why didn't I find your injected in_gme before? It sounds great! I'm also really starting to like Regen, and especially this "secret" beta version!

Keep pushing for 100%! :sonic: