The obligatory "What are your favorite video game soundtracks" thread!

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

Okay, now I listened to it, and I found some piano in there...:) but it's only one out of a very large amount of different instruments and sounds. I'm only referring to the original music, or more specifically the album Akumajo Dracula Best 2
wich contained the original music. But I don't know if it's completely unaltered on this album, maybe they added a small amount of reverb to the songs. I heard a song in spc format that sounded very dry in comparison. I haven't got the original game so I don't know if it had this reverb or not, but I do like the reverb, it plays an important part.

Piano is sparingly used on track 14 and 16, but on 12. "Entrance Hall", "Chandeliers" the piano plays a bigger role, and 15. "Map B" is a short piano melody (13 seconds). 16."Treasury Room" has an intro with piano also.

I wouldn't say that piano plays a big role though. Personally I like this piano sound. It seems octaved (if octaved is a word), it has much bass-depth to it.

As I said before, I bet most of these sounds, probably all, are unique to this game - you don't hear them in any other game. But if there is any game music wich feature any sounds that this game used I would be very interested in hearing it!
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

I don't want to sound like I dislike the soundtrack especially -- I have to admire their ability to do something very different, and when I write music I notice that this stuff had a fairly strong influence on what I do.

When you consider that this is a pretty early SNES game, it's quite impressive, samples and all. I think I need to hear that album just to see if it's higher quality, because I feel that the low point is, understandably, its instrumentation -- it's also hard to get things like that to sound good on the default Roland GS synth set that most computers use for MIDI, for many the same reasons.

I happen to not be very fond of sampled string sections or pianos in general, so it's not a specific slight to this soundtrack either.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

There was an album with MIDI versions of the music to Castlevania IV. I heard it once a long time ago and thought it sounded awful. There we can talk about bad sampled sounds (General MIDI, that is)

I'm also sensitive to some kinds of piano sounds. Like when they are sampled and sound close to a piano, but sound mechanic and lifeless... synths in the 90:ies for instance. The piano sound of the Korg M1....not my cup of tea. I think instrument sounds on older video game systems are okay because they sound more like a synth sound of its own. I love the "piano" sound of the C-64. I guess because it's not sampled, it has a character of its own.

But nowadays there's sampled pianos that sound really good. I use a keyboard and a sampled piano loaded from the computer wich sound very nice.

Here is a fun thing, it's from the C-64 manual, a recipe to create a piano sound on the C-64:

"Change the waveform to square and try a piano type sound with these lines:

15 POKES+3,8:POKES+2,O
20 POKES+5,9:POKES+6,O:REMA=0;D=9;S=0;R=0
70 POKES+4,6590 POKES+4,64:FORT=lT050:NEXT

The most exciting sounds are those unique to the music synthesizer itself, ones that do not attempt to mimic acoustic instruments."

I may have gone a bit off topic now.....hope it's okay.
jamesdude
New Around Here

Post by jamesdude »

an SNES game that had the best music ive ever heard:

Joe "Joebama" Baslock
New Around Here

Post by Joe "Joebama" Baslock »

I'd have to say,

Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Gen)

Half-Life (PC) <-- this got me into techno music

DOOM (PC)

Opposing Force (PC) <-- this too!

Street Fighter II (Gen)

Boogerman (Gen)

General Chaos (Gen)

Bubsy (Gen)

-That's all I can think of off of the top of my head right now.-
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

I was listening to Sol Feace again and I was like man! this shit RULES!!! Specially tracks 6, 12 and 14. Wow, love it
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

One of my new favorites is the music from Melty Blood: Actress Again. There's a lot of good tunes in there.

A link for those of you who use VGMStream or some other form of player that can handle ADXs.

Pretty interesting soundtrack, all in all, for a fighting game. I think I got a few song names mistagged, though - I'll have to update it when I get home in about 7-8 hours. On the extremely odd chance someone wants to DL it before then, you might want to wait until then, but if you really don't want to, I'm not exactly going to stop you.
SUTOruin
New Around Here

Post by SUTOruin »

Dynamite Headdy
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Super Bomberman 5
Kirby's Dreamland 3

When I listen to my favorite stuff it's like all is right with the world.
That's not all I listen to though.
flimflam
New Around Here

Post by flimflam »

I can't recall a game I've played with music I didn't really like or try to get into. (why else am I here?) These are some of my favorite osts (+fave song of each for added bonus), off the top of my head:

Bubsy (GEN) - Fave track: The Village

Columns III: Revenge of Columns - Fave track: Networked Melon

Sonic CD (US) - I'm in a minority against many Sonic fans, I've noticed. Fave track: Wacky Workbench (Bad Future)

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Fave track: Exercise Mode

Dynamite Headdy - Fave track: Headdy the Hero

Rocket Knight Adventures - This is the OST got me into vg music. Fave Track: Besides all... Stage 5-1

Mega Bomberman - Fave track: nearly everything... especially 2p battle.

Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES) - Fave track: Lorenzen's Soil

Road Rash II - Fave track: Vermont

Road Rash III - Fave track: Brazil

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure - Fave track: Pirate Ship

...plus the many OSTs I've forgotten/have yet to get into, which I'm guessing will be a lot...
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

You have good taste.

Sonic CD (U) > Sonic CD (J)

Mostly due to superior mastering. The songs are also more moody and interesting in the American version.