The obligatory "What are your favorite video game soundtracks" thread!

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
MisterHarlequin

Post by MisterHarlequin »

It definitely feels quite orchestral and I remember its soundtrack the most, next to Symphony of the Night. Lots of dark chords, pipe organs and such, good times. I also find Super Castlevania IV's rendition of Vampire Killer quite appealing but maybe that's just me.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

Castlevania IV is among my favourite music, not just VG music. A very special mind must have come up with that music. The sounds seem unique for that game, you don't hear them in other games. Everything is perfect, so they must have put down an enormous amount of energy on details in the music. The bass playing and the drums is stunning.

The sad thing is that I haven't been able to track down if the people who made the music has made any other VG music, or more interestingly, non-VG music.

It's supposedly Taro Kudou (who also has another name wich I've forgotten) and Masanori Adachi (or Oodachi?). The former made music for Axelay I think. I got Axelay years ago just to hear the music, but it wasn't very great I think. One of the songs (maybe from the first level) was nice though, I thought I could recognize some musical traits from Castlevania IV, but other than that it was a bit dissapointing. The game was also extremely difficult, hehe.

Not long ago I found out that Aki Hata who did the fantastic music for Light Crusader seems to have put out lots of albums, and has a band called Tsukihiko. I'm very curious to hear it but haven't found any sound samples. And Aki Hata is a female, wich is cool.

That's an example of a VG game composer who also has done non-VG music. If I would find any music from the ones who did Castlevania IV, it would be like finding the holy grail.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Hmmm, maybe I should listen to that SPC set again! I watched a tool-assisted speed-run of SCIV a long time ago simply because of a lack of time to play the whole game (and watching a movie is a whole lot easier. :roll: )
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

I have to agree with you on Castlevania IV, the music they had on it was just so different, for me it was music in the Submerged City that blew me away, just amazing.I have too many soundtracks that I like, so I'll list a few.

Streets of Rage 3
Thunderforce IV
Metal Gear 2(MSX2)
Power Rangers & Movie(SNES)
Batman & Robin(GENS)
Shadow Dancer
F-Zero GX
Last Ninja 2
Turok 2 (GB)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Gameboy:

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Pokemon Yellow Version
Pokemon Silver Version
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

Just wanted to add a few to my list:

NES:
Journey to Silius - Having never played the game, this one really surprised me. It's apparently from Sun Soft, the same company that brought us the wonderful Blaster Master. I can see the resemblance.

Strider - I enjoyed this game at the time, but I didn't really appreciate the music until recently. The title track has so many different components it really never falls into a pattern which I find terribly refreshing. The rest of the tracks are a mixed bag.

Oh, and I have to agree that Super Castlevania IV is a spectacular set. I used to listen to the midis before I discovered music emulation. Sadly I have to admit that I never played much of the game as I never cared much for the "original" Castlevania formula, but prefered that presented by Simon's Quest and SOTN.
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

Did someone say Castlevania IV?

I like a lot of the music, though to be honest I prefer more funky stuff like in CV3 or Rondo of Blood in my Castlevania. I don't find the stuff from CV4 to be quite as compelling to play behind. It doesn't get me pumped or anything. I do like listening to it quite a bit, though I wish there were higher-quality versions of all the songs -- I never was that fond of the piano sample that they used throughout the game. Still, it's an early SNES title, and if we compare it to a first generation Genesis title like Mystic Defender the sound quality is not a big point of contention.

So I like it. It just doesn't make me want to keep playing the game, and I wish there was an OST with higher-quality samples a la Portrait of Ruin's soundtrack.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

muteKi wrote: I never was that fond of the piano sample that they used throughout the game.

I can't recall any piano from the game. Are you really thinking about castlevania IV? I agree though, it's not exactly funky. it's really dark and powerful, sophisticated and progressive i think.

I think the sound quality is pretty great... and especially the number of sounds and articulations, the instrumentation and arrangement...it's a big work. Violin and cello pizzicato, timpani, flute, different bass sounds, interesting percussion and of course organ - and synth sounds. Everything is also dynamic, drum fills for example, and crescendos and diminuendos in orchestral parts. And sound effects on top of that.

It's the ultimate game music, nothing comes close to it in my opinion!
neologix

Post by neologix »

yea, cv4 had a piano. quite a few of its tracks had it. it was rather low quality, tho, especially if you converted a cv4 spc to music module using openspc. even snesamp can't save it. much prefered the dracula x waveforms; lovely sound!
MisterHarlequin

Post by MisterHarlequin »

I think it's easy to say now that the piano wasn't up to par with some of the soundtracks of the later games but I personally think that, considering what else was available at the time, it was quite noticeable as far as the effort put into it.