VGM to MIDI Conversion

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
Classic Game Guy
New Around Here

VGM to MIDI Conversion

Post by Classic Game Guy »

I know that this has been asked before, but I can't remember what the answer was. Is there a way to convert Genesis VGMs to MIDI?

Currently, a MIDI conversion tool is the only feature that GYM has, but VGM doesn't. I heard that VGM2MID can do it, but Maxim has that hack in place where compressed VGMs will not be recognized by programs looking for earlier versions.

Thanks.
Jacko
New Around Here

Post by Jacko »

Classic Game Guy wrote:I know that this has been asked before, but I can't remember what the answer was. Is there a way to convert Genesis VGMs to MIDI?

Currently, a MIDI conversion tool is the only feature that GYM has, but VGM doesn't. I heard that VGM2MID can do it, but Maxim has that hack in place where compressed VGMs will not be recognized by programs looking for earlier versions.

Thanks.

Well, the results wont be as good as if you sat down and actually transcribed the song note for note and phrase for phrase.

If you do use VGM2MID don't use the .NET version as it is a total re-wite and is missing half the features that the older versions do.

You can always decompress the VGMs using VGMTool.
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

The point is, the sample data blocks introduced in VGM 1.50 (to allow the files to be a lot smaller) had to deliberately "kill" older players, since they wouldn't know what to do with the sample data, and it would cause other problems to put it at the end of the file.

You can manually tweak the file to be playable, or try to get hold of an "unoptimiser".
Classic Game Guy
New Around Here

Post by Classic Game Guy »

Maxim wrote:You can manually tweak the file to be playable, or try to get hold of an "unoptimiser".

Is there an unpotimizer? Do you know where I can get it?

I know that the output of VGM2MID won't be perfect, but it should be close enough.
Duke Nukem
New Around Here

Post by Duke Nukem »

Yes, there is an unoptimizer. I have it somewhere around my hard disk, can't seem to find it right now... I think Dark Pulse still has it, you can ask him.