Thread for off-site updates.

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Monkeymook wrote:Doommaster1994 used to handle updating the sql set listing for new packs and contributed to massive amounts of composer updates (but they ran into IRL obligations and are temporarily AFAIK unable to contribute to the site), and I used to upload the new packs to the FTP, as I have privs for it, and VB would make the sets live with the new SQL file), but the biggest issue, is that although there is a specific form for uploads, I don't have the time to experiment with it enough to find out if new sets can be uploaded without an issue. I stay fairly busy with my personal life and work.

The SQL thing was actually a one-time event. I thought that, at least for the mass-update, it would be more comfortable for dissident93 (he did all the composer updates) to do all the updates locally (using a tool that looked like this) and upload everything at once to the site.
All future updates should be done using the web interface. (and maybe FTP uploads)

Monkeymook wrote:Another issue was that prior to the new "upload set" page being made, updating the site was a pain in the butt, as the design of it on the FTP and host is very outdated and cobbled together.

The web interface actually existed since about 2006. And I think that at least the pages for editing/creating packs (for making things visible on the site) are pretty straight-forward to use. It really only wants you to enter a few details about the pack like name and composers and things immediately show up. (I would ignore the "external links" section - it's something vampi-the-frog added last year.)
About the FTP - well, it used to be pretty messy during the big update. But that really was only during that time.

As for people being in charge: I always considered Monkeymook to be in charge of pack updates. As I'm doing work on vgmrips, I didn't bother keeping track of them as Monkeymook does already.
I'm main admin for the forum though and regularly delete spambots.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Koto wrote:The set collection will be sorted alphabetically, so each subforum would be a letter... And each set would be posted at its very own thread.

This could be tedious at the beginning, but I think is the best way to keep the site alive and kicking, cause regular updates seems to be very difficult to do.

I agree with this idea. It definitely seems more organized and consistent over there, but we have to work with what we have at the moment.

ValleyBell wrote:The SQL thing was actually a one-time event.

I was not aware this was not ongoing (because only a handful of packs were uploaded in between the time I started and the large now-2-year old update). Thanks for clarifying.

ValleyBell wrote:About the FTP - well, it used to be pretty messy during the big update.

The directory layout used to be confusing, but after a lot of clarification on how the site interacted with the newly-uploaded content, it makes more sense.

ValleyBell wrote:I'm main admin for the forum though and regularly delete spambots.

I keep an eye on the bots as well and also delete newly-created but non-posting spambots when the opportunity presents itself. Any help you provide is appreciated.
Duke Nukem
New Around Here

Post by Duke Nukem »

For what it is worth, I'm still coming over here every now and then to make sure things are still around, but I don't have access to the site hosting anymore. I'm not even sure I have my password. I can't do anything in that regard even if I wanted to. Last I checked, Dark Pulse was the guy handling that sort of thing, but things have probably changed at this point.

I haven't touched any sort of web development in ages and, admittedly, what me and Andy put together about 10 years ago over here isn't anything outstanding. It was just the best we could do at the time to improve upon the then static HTML site.

I do strongly agree that a new team should be put in charge officially somehow. There's absolutely no justification for keeping updated sets off site, when DJSW and Dark Pulse set up P2612 to be the authoritative site for these VGM sets.

Which is to say, you have my blessings and any help I can offer to get things back on track in here.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Duke Nukem wrote:For what it is worth, I'm still coming over here every now and then to make sure things are still around, but I don't have access to the site hosting anymore. I'm not even sure I have my password. I can't do anything in that regard even if I wanted to. Last I checked, Dark Pulse was the guy handling that sort of thing, but things have probably changed at this point.

Hello again, Duke! Dark Pulse hasn't been on the site in years, and getting ahold of them is difficult. I'm guessing they got sucked into the college life and forgot about 2612.

Duke Nukem wrote:I haven't touched any sort of web development in ages and, admittedly, what me and Andy put together about 10 years ago over here isn't anything outstanding. It was just the best we could do at the time to improve upon the then static HTML site.

It's fine. You all did fine. It works for what is needed, and it's better than nothing.

Duke Nukem wrote:I do strongly agree that a new team should be put in charge officially somehow. There's absolutely no justification for keeping updated sets off site, when DJSW and Dark Pulse set up P2612 to be the authoritative site for these VGM sets.

I agree with this. It takes time to get the SQL updated (although this method isn't required anymore), but the page that ValleyBell set up requires a bit more information on each set than I have time to add myself, and I wouldn't ask to have that job pushed on anyone else, as many of us have other obligations. I'm honestly not sure where to go from here.

Duke Nukem wrote:Which is to say, you have my blessings and any help I can offer to get things back on track in here.

If you'd like, you're welcome to PM me and I'll give you the rundown on what needs to be done, the directions that VB has given me explicitly, and what I try to keep up with.

Also, thanks for popping in again. I appreciate the offer of help. All of us do.
Raijin
New Around Here

Post by Raijin »

Hey there. What's happened to the Google Drive links and such? I've lost the updated Time Trax pack, and wanted to redownload that here, but the links are all gone.
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Are you sure? I still have everything synchronized and up to date here, I'll take a look afterwards, although it's Monkeymook who's keeping the archive on GDrive up.

EDIT: nevermind, you're right! GDrive is gone, but I have the (supposedly) latest update on my drive. I can upload it if needed, but if I do that I can't keep it updated, so I'd rather monkeymook or someone else step up and bring the GDrive shared folder up again.
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
Raijin
New Around Here

Post by Raijin »

Well, it's certainly not urgent or anything, so I would be fine with waiting to see what Monkeymook does. The initial post seems as if some update will happen, though I have no idea when that edit was.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Raijin wrote:Well, it's certainly not urgent or anything, so I would be fine with waiting to see what Monkeymook does. The initial post seems as if some update will happen, though I have no idea when that edit was.

Hey, Raijin. Life kept me away, as well as two jobs.

I'm back on some intermediate updates. Updating old packs and adding in a good handful of new sets. More to come.

The Google Drive folder would be nice, but I want to get a universally updated download link in order *once* I get the site updated. I have about 9 different backups floating around my computer due to laptop backup after laptop backup being stored on there, especially with the issues of having to have someone manually update and upload the sql database for the site (at the time, I didn't have perms to access the admin panel for the site).

This page was initially made for one reason: I couldn't get the site uploader to work. Valley Bell helped me get it working years ago, and for that I am immensely grateful.

I may still consider this thread useful, but number one priority is: Get the site updated with new content after another two year hiatus. New content has been posted as of today.