obligatory favorite games topic -- redux!

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
DJ Squarewave

obligatory favorite games topic -- redux!

Post by DJ Squarewave »

It's that time again! Time to...er...make a list. And check it twice. ...yeah, I suck at this stuff.

Anyway, what are your top five (or so) favorite games on the MD? Comments would be appreciated, but lists are nice for those with short attention spans. ;)

Here's mine in no particularly particular order:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles:
Duh. Pinaccle of 2D action gaming design. But anyone here should already know that.

Granada:
The only Wolfteam game that hasn't aged violently and developed alzheimer's. Top-down free-roaming shooting action. Excellent, excellent game.

Thunder Force II:
It may not be much to look at, but damned if it isn't great to play. Maybe I'm just weird, but I actually like the top-view stages more than the standard side-view ones.

Dragon's Fury:
BEST PINBALL EVER

ToeJam & Earl:
BEST CO-OP EVER
MisterHarlequin

Post by MisterHarlequin »

Bah, I'll be damned if I give reasons. Well, maybe a few if it happens to suit me...

Streets of Rage 2
If only because I can beat people to death with a tiny kid on in-line skates.

Ranger-X
As hard as this game is, I find it quite the blast to play.

Bio-Hazard Battle
This is still one of my favorite shooters to play.

Rocket Knight Adventures
Possums in rocket packs are more awesome than words can describe. Especially when they fight evil porcine soldiers.

Granada
Mmm, such a sexy game, that one is.
DJ Squarewave

Post by DJ Squarewave »

MisterHarlequin wrote:Granada
Mmm, such a sexy game, that one is.

YES! FELLOW CONVERT!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danjuro
New Around Here

Post by Danjuro »

King's Bounty - wonderful music, a feast for the eyes!

Might&Magic 2 - great soundtrack, a game featuring a surprise every minute!

Phantasy Star IV - awesome story!
Tweaker

Post by Tweaker »

Sonic Series - Because they're all the same anyway. =P Great stuff -- fast, fun, and wonderful graphics. It's all good.

Gunstar Heroes - This game is fun as hell, and fast paced as well. I like fast stuff. =P

Ristar - Another fun one as well. Plus great music, and also great graphics.

I'd throw in Hybrid Front for the extremely sexy music, but it seems I hate the game itself. Go figure. =P

Oh and SOR > j00.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Some of my favourites:

Sonics, all of them but if i had to choose probably 2 or 3
Amazing games, great graphics and no slowdown no matter how fast your going (except for sonic 1 ;) )

SoR (again all of them but 2 is the best)
One of my all time favourite series (fans should check out a really cool looking remake at http://bombergames.se32.com/index_e.htm
its due at the end of the summer, but they have a beta to download)

Shinobi 3
I played this game to death, i eventually set the difficulty to hardest, turned off shurikens, dodged all powerups, and tried beating the game with my sword, succeded a few times. :D (Also like Revenge of Shinobi too)

Kid Chameleon
Very long for a game without save points or passwords (had to start at the very beginning every single time) but some great level design and awsome backgrounds (and of course fantastic music)

Fantastic Dizzy
I played dizzy games since the first ones came out on the commodore 64 and this remake essentially puts all the best bits of the older games into one eggcellent (sorry :p ) platformer

Mercs
Great overhead shoot-em-up

Eternal Champions
I actually prefered this fighting game to Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat as it was so much more gripping

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
One of the first MD games i played at a friends house so this gets a nostalgic mention

Thers loads more but i got over 5 already so I'll stop :cool:
SounDuke
New Around Here

Post by SounDuke »

I hope this is my final search ^_^ Is there anybody who doesn't know that guild of masters who are called Follin's brothers? Few knows that he programmed music for genesis too! But the game and the music are difficult to find:

- Time Trax

YM and Texas Instruments SN stretched to the limit!
DJ Squarewave

Post by DJ Squarewave »

SounDuke wrote:I hope this is my final search ^_^ Is there anybody who doesn't know that guild of masters who are called Follin's brothers? Few knows that he programmed music for genesis too! But the game and the music are difficult to find:

- Time Trax

YM and Texas Instruments SN stretched to the limit!

Methinks you have the wrong thread. ;)

Though yeah, that one's up there with The Stickman is Back for unreleased games that I'd love the chance to rip. If a ROM ever pops up...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Follin's Brothers?

Im not sure if this is in any way related, but is Tim Follin part of that?
If so, i loved his music on the C64 :)
SounDuke
New Around Here

Post by SounDuke »

No misunderstanding - http://www.bobspaddedcell.com/Tim/mp3s/MEGADRIVE%20Time%20Trax%20Title.mp3 that's the only track freely published by the master ^_^