50hz so slow

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

50hz so slow

Post by Kage »

I'm in the UK, so my Megadrive was PAL.

One question I have though, is why 50hz sounds so slow, when this is what I was running, and yet, 60hz sounds the right music speed? :undecided:

I think these module files have poisoned my mind, haha :roll:

My brother sold my real Mega Drive :cry:
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

You're probably too used to playing the games in emulators or hearing the GYMs at 60Hz. That, or you had a lot of games that compensated for the 50Hz speed so the music sounded the same speed - it's not so easy to get that handled right in the plugin.
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Thats probably it, but I'm sure even in PAL, games sounded the same as set to 60HZ over here.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

They sounded the same to me at first too, in fact before i started playing emulators i didnt even realise there was 50hz/60hz difference.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Most games were pitchshifted, if I recall, but don't count on my word - I'm just a Damn Yankee, and so I'm used to my tunes always sounding at 60 Hz. :p

I know SOME weren't - but generally these are games that were ONLY released in Europe, for example, Maui Mallard or any of the Asterix games. But I think the rule of thumb is, if the game is multiregional, it has sound shifting if played on a PAL console.

As long as you set it to "Recorded Rate" in the plugin, you should be able to play most of the tunes fine and at proper speed - but please check ingame before you bug us with "This game is too fast/slow" - as we don't like wasting our time on something that isn't our fault. Surely you understand. :p
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Hehe, I prefer them at 60hz anyways, if ours was at 50.
The only thing I hate in PAL, on older consoles is the border.

At least now with new consoles, you have the option of a 60hz switch, which i tend to use, since I do notice slight differences on my TV since it supports both.
brother-ernest
New Around Here

Post by brother-ernest »

lol u should try playing games at 50Hz after playing emulators at 60Hz for so long

i swear sonic literally floats in the air on a PAL md
but for me all of those foibles add to the nostalgia when i play the actual console. that and the border around the screen that would change with pallete switches.

old games rock!
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

I agree, though I also like Crash Bandicoot...well... until we got to the latest generation, after 3...

But the latest generation has killed all good games. Look at Sonic for instance...heck.
I wasn't too impressed either with the hand held versions on GameBoy Advance, and the new one on the new Nintendo handheld.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

brother-ernest wrote:lol u should try playing games at 50Hz after playing emulators at 60Hz for so long

i swear sonic literally floats in the air on a PAL md

Absolutely, it seems half the speed instead of 5/6. Like Kage i switch to 60 whenever i can on modern games.

As for sonic. I reckon they got it wrong with sonic heroes, they went downhill from there (every game before that except sonic 3d was exeptional IMO). I would like to try the new one, if I could get my hands on a damn wii :mad:
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Hehe, and even though 60hz uses less pixels than PAL 50's, it seems sharper to me...

Yeah, Sonic Heroes, and all these characters added, and all that.
They went wrong with the 360 Sonic The Hedgehog, because they decided "hmm...lets add loads of characters". I'd rather have just Sonic and Tails playable with more levels, instead of all that... I never bought that, and won't.

The Wii version may hold up. Who knows :p
You can't get a Wii here either... and I'm in the UK but in Manchester.