Using a real YM2612 chip out of a Genesis

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Boldt
New Around Here

Using a real YM2612 chip out of a Genesis

Post by Boldt »

I want to take a YM2612 chip and hook it up to a microcontroller to play sounds. Does anyone know where I could find the specifications for the chip? Especially an example project where someone has done this and documented it would be helpful.

I have searched for a while with Google and I've found a pinout, but nothing else especially useful so far.

Here's the pinout that I found:

Code: Select all

[font="Courier New"]    +--()--+
GND | 1  24| 0M(CLK)
 D0 | 2  23| Vcc
 D1 | 3  22| A.Vcc
 D2 | 4  21| MOL
 D3 | 5  20| MOR
 D4 | 6  19| A.GND
 D5 | 7  18| A1
 D6 | 8  17| A0
 D7 | 9  16| /RD
  ? |10  15| /WR
/IC |11  14| /CS
GND |12  13| /IRQ
    +------+[/font]

Unfortunately, I don't exactly know what each abbreviation stands for. I also don't know what voltages to use. I would assume it uses 5V for D0-D7 and for Vcc, but I don't know for sure. Maybe Vcc is higher. I also am not entirely certain where the audio comes out. I'm thinking A0 is left and A1 is right, but I don't know.

Thanks for any help. If someone has a schematic (or portion of the schematic) of the Genesis that could sure help too. I found one, but the image is cut off right where I'd need to see.
Shiru
New Around Here

Post by Shiru »

Look here for some schematic (click YM2612 on left column): http://sue.niko.to/ps98/

If you want just to play gym or vgm with MCU and YM2612, you don't need to know many details about programming YM2612. Just take values from file and send to registers (but don't forget about BUSY bit in status register!). Information in the 'Genesis Technical overview' will be enough.
Boldt
New Around Here

Post by Boldt »

Wow! Thank you.