What are you currently playing?

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

Super Mario Kart. Timeless. Classic. Need I say more?
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

killtodeath08 wrote:Super Mario Kart. Timeless. Classic. Need I say more?
Can you ace Rainbow Road? :p
neologix

Post by neologix »

Dark Pulse wrote:Can you ace Rainbow Road? :p

i made rainbow road snes my bitch in 150cc AND 150cc reverse. no game genie, no emulator savestates, it was all cartridge (and, of course, skill).

now, the ds version, THERE'S a challenge...
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

Dark Pulse wrote:Can you ace Rainbow Road? :p

On the N64. I don't have a SNES, the N64 rainbow road is much easier and you don't even need to drive the whole course - veer left on the downhill bit at the start and you end up skipping half the course. A good 'un to know as this course can get very zzzzzzz.... lol
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Ys Book I & II (TG16)

Wow. I'm always thirsty for some new game (to me) that is fresh and evokes emotions not quite like anything else I've experienced. I think it's safe to say that this is one of those games. Ys is accessible and difficult, simple and complicated, and something and its opposite. It's like Zelda meets Phantasy Star. The music is what truly completes this game. You just have to play it.

On the downside, there's those few spikes in difficulty in places that were painful. What the hell is with the third boss in Book I, the bat guy???? He was almost impossible even while abusing save states! (By the way, Magic Engine rocks.)

There were a few other hiccups that angered me. How about brutally confusing mazes and vague objectives. Darm is an impossible boss for me. Can't do it. Rampant save states wouldn't even save me. I was one level away from being maxed, and I still had to cheat to beat this final boss.

My incompetence aside, reread my first paragraph to refresh how I really feel about this memorable gem.
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

Still like the music better in the SMS, PC88 and Famicom versions!

Killtodeath -- thanks for talking about "Zombies" so much -- I've been listening to the SNES music a lot lately and it's just great! I never knew!
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

stalepie wrote:Still like the music better in the SMS, PC88 and Famicom versions!

Is it possible to emulate the PC88 music? If so, could you point me to the music emulator and the chiptunes?
Where can I find MSX chiptunes?
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

Yeah, use "hoot"

http://snesmusic.org/hoot/v2/
http://snesmusic.org/hoot/v2/?system=PC-98
http://snesmusic.org/hoot/v2/?system=MSX

It can be a little tricky setting up, so see their FAQ. Also there's a Winamp plugin, although I liked Hoot the best. It's been a while since I've used this stuff. And I know even less about the MSX.

The Sharp X1 actually had a pretty good version of Ys. It's interesting to compare them.
http://snesmusic.org/hoot/v2/?system=X1&page=3
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

neologix wrote:i made rainbow road snes my bitch in 150cc AND 150cc reverse. no game genie, no emulator savestates, it was all cartridge (and, of course, skill).

now, the ds version, THERE'S a challenge...

150cc is def the don. Reverse, yeah Toad's turnpike driving against oncoming traffic, now that's mad. Reminds me of a joke:

Emergency broadcast on the radio - some maniac is driving the wrong way on the highway. On hearing this a bloke calls his missus to find out if she's heard the news. She replies: "well, god damn, it's not just one, they're all doing it!" lol:D
MisterHarlequin

Post by MisterHarlequin »

Resurrected from the dead once again because I can do that sort of thing, talk here about what games you've been playing...or even starting, playing for a few days and then inadvertently neglecting! There's a bunch of stuff floating around in the VG ether that I need to complete, but I'm switching back and forth between Persona 4, The World Ends With You, and Jet Grind Radio at the moment.

EDIT: The thread has now been stickied so it can stay on the first page for all to see.