vgm kega ym2612

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Thanks for the interest in my problem. I have a sneaking suspicion that the crashing was caused by the "quick write to video memory" option I had selected (or something like that.)
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

I did some snooping around into the GEMS audio bug. Apparently one VGM player has it sounding correctly, and it has source code!

Fox Audio Player

I still don't see how it's able to do that, as it uses the same Game_Music_Emu library as foo_gep, which still sounds glitchy.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Thanks. I'll have a look at it. BTW, What do you use to log VGM?

EDIT:

Just took a quick look and it seems to be a problem with resampling. Not sure though.

stay safe,

AamirM
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

It also seems the winamp plugin of Game_Music_Emu handles the GEMS bug correctly.

http://vba-m.ngemu.com/personalpage/downloads/in_gme.zip

Still no idea why foo_gep still isn't handling it right.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Bwaaah? And you never told me about such a plugin? EVIL. You've been hiding it from me, haven't you?!
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

Sorry, I didn't notice until just now.

Anyways, I talked with Kode54. The difference between his foo_gep and other Game_Music_Emu based players is that his uses the MAME core, and the others use the GENS core included with the GME library. MAME is more accurate in most areas, except for that particular feature. Perhaps there's a way to compare the two and find out the root of this problem once and for all.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Gens itself plays it incorrectly. This is not a problem with the Gens core. I think it has something to do with band-limited synthesis (which gme does). I think that aliasing is happening. If we can somehow avoid it (which gme does), it will play correctly.

MAME has certain inaccuracies regarding Channel 3 special mode. I am still unable to track down the problem.

stay safe

AamirM
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

To bump the topic because I'm making my once-every-couple-months check on the forums:

The reason we can't use Kega's core is because Steve Snake wants to keep Kega closed-source, last I heard. He hasn't worked on Kega in awhile, so he's obviously quite busy with other things.

Maxim was beginning to get the MAME core in as an alternative to the GENS core last I'd heard, but it was vewy, vewy quiet.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

You'll see some real nice improvements in the next version of Regen since an official Yamaha YM2608 (YM2612 is a cut down version of it) manual was made available and a few things about YM2612 were discovered recently including fix for that one pirticular instrument in Ariel, Shaq-Fu etc.. and some SSG-EG things. I may put one here for you people to test out.

stay safe,

AamirM
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

I'd like to see such a core in an actual VGM plugin for foobar or winamp.