vgm kega ym2612

Anything else goes here that doesn't fit in the first two categories.
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

It's Sound Test 03. Nobody bothered giving it a proper label.
neologix

Post by neologix »

ok, the disassembly shows me a few possible culprits:

- the LFO is set (to 6.37 Hz at the start, then other values later)
- timer A is ON (all of it)
- SSG for each channel's ops is set to zero (i usually assume that means it's getting ready to set it later or for another song in the same game; songs are more likely to omit setting SSG if it doesn't have it at all)
- there is a VERY high frequency tone emitted from channel 6 (disassembled to "F#10 +26 cents")
- it likes to switch panning every so often
- very high LFO sensitivity
- rapid patch changing (it almost seems to do it before each tone...)

this is after analyzing a disassembly. i haven't even BEGUN to listen to it yet...

EDIT: i have begun listening to it, and there is definitely a clear difference btwn in_vgm (horribly loud that certain instrument) and actual recording. i think i have weighted filter on, so it shouldn't do that...
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

Here's a few others that have the same issue. See if you can narrow it down.

Comix Zone - Episode 1, Page 2-2
Comix Zone (Beta) - Sound Code 03
Spider-Man: The Animated Series - Theme of Spider-Man
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

This specific instrument is also used in Ariel, Scooby Doo. It happens is 3 slot mode in channel 3, algorithm 4 and total level set to 0. Hear it in Regen. It is somewhat good now.

BTW, About the GhostBuster track 10 problem, I think you have found something I've been looking for some time now. I think it uses 3 slot mode with different frequencies for each operator for channel 6. I didn't implemented it in my YM2612 core because I thought no game used it (most use it for DAC). When I have some free time I'll see if it really is what I think it is. And if it is, then the fix will be very easy.

stay safe,

AamirM

P.S. : For those who don't know, I am the author of Regen. :)

EDIT:
Ok. Confirmed this happens :) . Will be fixed in next version if I don't forget it :) . Thanks to the guy who reported Ghostbuster problem.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Hey, I tried out Regen .85, or tried trying it out, since the P4 version didn't even run and the P3 version likes to crash (does it have something to do with SuperHQ?) I logged a test WAV and it was some weird 547634-ish sample rate. So... uh... whut's wrong?
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

That sample rate sounds like the native frequency of the YM2612. So that's my guess.
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

AamirM wrote:For those who don't know, I am the author of Regen.

AamirM, I have read on the Regen forum that your goal is perfect accuracy, and I hope it is not impolite to request this, but would you ever consider allowing your YM2612 core to be used in the VGM plugin at a future date?
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

When I make it absolutely accurate then yes I will be open sourcing it. Currently there are some problems in it (which I could probably solve in less time if I had a working MegaDrive). Also, currently it is very tightly integrated with the other parts of the emulator and it is a bit hard to rip it out right now. But when I fix all of the problems with it, I'll try to rip it out and open source it. But don;t expect it to happen any time soon.

Hey, I tried out Regen .85, or tried trying it out, since the P4 version didn't even run and the P3 version likes to crash (does it have something to do with SuperHQ?) I logged a test WAV and it was some weird 547634-ish sample rate. So... uh... whut's wrong?

Yes that is the true frequency of the YM2612 (its 53267 Hz). The wav logging feature logs the wav before it is resampled in SuperHQ mode to make it more good. BTW, could you please post your system specs so I can identify the crashing problem?

stay safe,

AamirM

EDIT:

My theory on the Ghostbuster music was wrong :( . There is some other problem with it.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Realtek AC97 Audio - integrated sound
Nvidia 7900 GT - gpu
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ - cpu 2.21 GHz
ASUS something or other - motherboard
1 GB RAM - mem
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Well, shouldn't create any problems if you use P3 version. Its definitely not caused the SuperHQ mode because I have the same sound card. But I'll look into it.

BTW, I have fixed Track 10 sound in GhostBusters :) .