Project2612

Packs that need work. [May 4th, 2018]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!

Postby ValleyBell » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:08 am

IIRC Kega Fusion 3.54 had issues with the DAC speed and VGM initialization.
However, the current version, Fusion 3.64 seems fine and that's what I still use for MegaDrive logging.
All other emulators that feature VGM logging (Gens/GS, MAME) are worse.

There may be additional issues caused by bad start/loop/end points when trimming VGMs.

And there is VGMTool2 r5, which was used for trimming most VGMs on Project2612.
It does "trimming" by just removing any delays, so all YM2612 messages that were supposed to be trimmed off end up VGM sample 0. The more accurate cores really don't like that. (I patched the MAME/Genesis Plus GX core to be a bit nicer to P2612 VGMs.)

vgm_trim from vgmrips removes the YM2612 data that gets trimmed off, so even though it requires more care when finding the "start sample", it creates cleaner VGMs that also work a lot better with the newer sound emulators.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Postby donluca » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:27 am

Thank you so much for chiming in ValleyBell.

Also, my secret agents ( :p ) told me you've logged the recent Sonic 3 Prototype VGMs, but I don't see them on the front page or download page. Have I been fooled? :D
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Postby ValleyBell » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:28 am

Your information is not wrong, but I'm afraid it's inaccurate.
I made a "rip" of the Sonic 3 prototype music, but I logged those with SMPSPlay* instead of using an actual emulator. SMPSPlay sometimes behaves a bit different from the actual sound driver, so I'm afraid those rips don't qualify for Project2612.

*SMPSPlay is a reimplementation of the SMPS sound engine for PC
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Postby ValleyBell » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 am

The Sega Channel (Demo Cartridge #4) package is broken and plays no YM2612.
I'm pretty sure that happened when the v1.05 update was done.

You can find the (properly working) original v1.00 release here: http://vgmrips.net/misc/Sega_Channel.zip
The tags of the v1.05 archive would need to be merged with the v1.00 archive.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Postby donluca » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:55 am

ValleyBell wrote:Your information is not wrong, but I'm afraid it's inaccurate.
I made a "rip" of the Sonic 3 prototype music, but I logged those with SMPSPlay* instead of using an actual emulator. SMPSPlay sometimes behaves a bit different from the actual sound driver, so I'm afraid those rips don't qualify for Project2612.

*SMPSPlay is a reimplementation of the SMPS sound engine for PC

Ahhh that explains why it won't play back in RYMCast or in our own custom VGM_Player on the Mega Drive. I had a contributor trying several things without success.

Out of curiosity, is SMSPlay more accurate? I remember someone mentioning that the Sonic 3 Prototype had something different from the final version, sound driver-wise, which wasn't correctly logged by current emulators.

donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Postby ValleyBell » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Many thanks to kuroshi for making a fixed Sega Channel pack by combining the old (working) version with the v1.10 tag updates.
http://vgmrips.net/misc/Sega%20Channel%20%28Demo%20Cartridge%20%234%29_v111.zip

donluca wrote:I remember someone mentioning that the Sonic 3 Prototype had something different from the final version, sound driver-wise, which wasn't correctly logged by current emulators.
The S3 prototype sound driver has a few bugs related to playing sound effects.
The bugs occour in emulation and on real hardware as well, as they are programming errors. There are no differences that aren't "correctly logged by current emulators".

These days, there is only 1 thing regarding VGM logs that emulators sometimes get wrong: The playback frequency of PCM samples.
I think Fusion 3.64 gets that quite right. MAME gets it very wrong. I don't remember how off Gens/GS is.
Most other faults are related to the actual sound emulation that occours after the point where VGMs are logged.

In any case, SMPSPlay will always be less accurate than an actual log of the emulator, as it is a reimplementation that aims to support all variants of SMPS. And those can differ quite a lot, especially when it comes to inaudible details.
SMPSPlay's high-level emulation also isn't subject to certain limitations of the actual SMPS sound programs running on the MegaDrive hardware.
An example for this is that the PCM samples are a lot cleaner in SMPSPlay (and VGMs logged by it), as SMPSPlay doesn't have to pause the sample playback in order to process the music data. (Music and SFX processing takes a bit of time on the actual hardware. SMPSPlay doesn't have any sound program to emulate, so processing takes 0 time for the emulated sound chips.)
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Postby donluca » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:03 pm

That's very interesting! I must admit I've never heard of SMPSPlay before.

Thanks for chiming in again, hopefully someone from the P2612 team will do a VGM rip of the Sonic 3 Prototype.

donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Previous

Return to Set Central