in_vgx

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

On December 10, 2008, AamirM sent me this private message:

AamirM wrote:
SmartOne wrote:Could you please migrate your improvements included in foo_gep over to in_vgx and release the updated version? I'm really excited for the new version (and also DAC panning later.)

foo_gep won't play VGZs! It's killing me! :(

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=44TSQIZO . Don't redistribute.

Now he doesn't remember why he didn't want to distribute it. This is the best (? Maxim's in_vgm2 is sounding pretty good) (Genesis) VGM player available. You don't have it yet. Download it now.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

I should really update this. Just so you know, I'll be trying to fix the panning issue soon. The level issue is fixed in the version SmartOne posted.......I think (and hope ;P ).
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Let's just say the balance could still be tweaked. ;)
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

What balance? Nobody has reported the any balance related problems.

Btw, I just remember now, the plugin posted above by SmartOne has the volume levels fixed (PSG is a bit louder and FM level is now lower). So thats the best one right now.
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Mmm... the update, on headphones at least, is making my head go all weird... its making me feel almost dizzy. I don't remember it doing that before
Ah the good old days... :D
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_tones

...lol...?

AamirM, I'm not convinced the balance of the PSG, each FM channel, and the DAC are correct. Requires some serious listening tests, which I'm more than willing to conduct. You could make the levels tweakable in the plugin... :sonic:
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

No, haha, nothing like that. Does sound funky though, that wiki
Ah the good old days... :D
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

PSG is a little quieter than it should be. The PCMDAC is a fair bit quieter than it should be though. I can barely hear it in Ristar.
Mouser X
New Around Here

Post by Mouser X »

SmartOne wrote:Fixed length songs still get cutoff. Let me find you some good examples...

Sonic the Hedgehog: "Title Theme" the final low note should sustain and you should be able to hear the YM2612 fuzzies, but they get cutt-off. :cry:

Columns 3: "Victory!" "Mummy's Awakening" "Introductory Theme"
Whoa, listen to "Wild Shellfish," "Yes, Yes!," "The Opening Bell," and "Unfinished Roll" in order (as they are in the M3U.) Winamp skips by them very quickly.

First: This isn't my computer, and thus it has no VGM/VGZ files, nor does it have a recent version of Winamp (or any reasonable plugins). So I haven't tried this out for myself. I'm only posting this because, from what I've seen, this cutoff "error" is often misunderstood. Perhaps this isn't the problem, but it sure sounds like it is.

If I understand the problem correctly (and the fix), then the problem is that in_vgx is single-threaded. That is, it only handles one file at a time. NotsoFatso also suffers from this problem ( :( ). What happens is that a few seconds (you can change it in your output plugin's settings) before the current song ends, Winamp goes to prepare the next song in the playlist. Because in_vgx can't handle more than one file at a time, when Winamp attempts to load a new file, the currently playing one is cut-off so that the new file can be loaded and played.

This problem happens frequently with new plugins. IIRC, It happened with 64th Note, in_cube, and even VGMstream (I haven't gotten a lot of completely new plugins). I assume it's easily fixed, but I have no clue.

As for the usual suggestion of reducing the prebuffer to 0, this, IMO, is a bad idea. I prebuffer my songs because it allows seamless transitions between songs when loading off of slow media (or, in the case of a crappy CPU, it allows the CPU to prepare the audio a little, in the hopes that it won't skip, get scratchy, or stop playback). I have my prebuffer set to 3 seconds (higher than the default, IIRC), and the only time I can recall running into problems is with NotsoFatso, and the Wonderswan plugin (in_wsr). To the best of my recollection, all the other plugins handle the prebuffer situation just fine.

Hopefully the problem is what I understand it to be, and I'm not making a fool of myself. If I'm wrong, and/or I've made a fool of myself, I apologize. As I said, I didn't have the means to test this myself. But if this is the problem, hopefully it can be addressed now that it's been made clear what the issue is (again, assuming I'm right). Mouser X over and out.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

The best solution is to use XMPlay. I was skeptical at first, but it just rocks.