in_vgx

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
blindpainkiller

Post by blindpainkiller »

I don't have any zlib.dll in my foobar directory (and not in my Windows dir either). I don't have any special DLLs in my foobar directory at all. What stuff I have installed in Windows I don't have a clue :).
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Are you sure you're using AamirM's new foo_gep.dll?
blindpainkiller

Oh yeah! :) I don't use foo_gep normally (I use an unofficial beta of foo_vgm by Rururu that I got from him years ago), and the file size is correct (it's much smaller than the regular foo_gep).
I don't have a clue why it works here and not for you.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I think you are confused. ;)

The plugin that AamirM just posted will not play VGZ files in foobar2000. From what I understand, foobar2000 contains zlib already which is necessary to decompress the VGZs on the fly. AamirM mistakenly added zlib to his version of foo_gep.dll, and that's creating some sort of conflict. However, VGM files play fine. You can decompress VGZ files in a program like WinRAR.

Cryptic posts are cryptic. :roll:
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

I've already found a bug in the sound of AamirM's foo_gep. Witch's Theme from Shining Force 2 sounds very weird in it.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Confirmed. Witch's Theme sounds glitchy. :(
blindpainkiller

SmartOne:
Confused? No I'm not! :)
The only thing I can say is I downloaded the ZIP, extracted the foo_gep.dll into my foobar\components directory, then started foobar and everything worked fine. All my VGZ files play as they should.

I also found a bug which I think has been reported before but I'm not sure. Wing Fortress in Sonic 2 sounds weird at the beginning.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
I've already found a bug in the sound of AamirM's foo_gep. Witch's Theme from Shining Force 2 sounds very weird in it.

I've had this bug report quite long ago in Regen. IIRC, it was using SSG-EG. So it may actually sound more accurate than what you may be accustomed to. Thats because SSG-EG is emulated pretty much perfectly in my core. Though I can't be sure. Will take a look later in detail.

stay safe,
AamirM
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

blindpainkiller wrote:The only thing I can say is I downloaded the ZIP, extracted the foo_gep.dll into my foobar\components directory, then started foobar and everything worked fine. All my VGZ files play as they should.

Maybe you still have foo_vgm.dll installed, and that's playing the VGZs? Could you list all of your Components, please? If indeed you have this new plugin working, I'd also like to use it! :sonic:

blindpainkiller wrote:I also found a bug which I think has been reported before but I'm not sure. Wing Fortress in Sonic 2 sounds weird at the beginning.

Yup. I've reported this to AamirM at least once.
blindpainkiller

SmartOne:
No, it's not foo_vgm that's playing the files since that uses an old version of the Gens core (which actually sounds pretty good most of the time, although nowhere near this one). I deactivated VGM playback in foo_vgm too.
After all you've said I too am surprised that it works so well for me :). If you want I could e-mail foo_vgm to you so you could test if it does the trick. Rururu told me not to spread it (since it is beta), but that's over two years ago. I don't think he released any stable version either.